The last week of my life has been absolutely non-stop and I’ve loved every single minute of it. I somehow managed to get 4 days off around my birthday and I wanted to make the absolute best of it with friends and family, so that’s exactly what I did.
On Thursday I woke up bright and very early (6:30am on a day off, anyone?!) and I headed over to the Notre-Dame beach with Jenn & Jenia for the day. Last week was probably the hottest week that I can remember in a long time & I had been stuck at work every single day up until Thurs so the beach was the perfect place to enjoy a real summer day.
We literally spent 4 hours going into the water, drying off & tanning, and then going back into the water. It was seriously perfect.
On Friday it rained all day so I spent a bit of time at home. Later on in the afternoon James and Agnes came to meet me at my house where we hung out and I opened my birthday present. They got me a BENCH sweater which I absolutely love, not to mention that I’ve wanted one for atleast a year but couldn’t afford it. I love them for knowing me well enough to get me something random like that. A couple hours later we headed to ‘Mio Vino’ for my birthday dinner & two of my best friends on this planet that I don’t get to see nearly enough, Alex & Jess, met us there along with another friend, Jonathan who decided to tag along.
We had a really good time laughing at the table behind us and telling really inappropirate stories. I guess 21 doesn’t make us all that much more mature when we’re all together. But I don’t particularly mind. After dinner everyone came back to my place because I wanted to do a few birthday shots. I bought a bottle of Goldschlagger the day I turned 18 and have only taken one shot per year from the bottle to celebrate. I decided this year was the year to finish off the bottle. It was nothing but good times, let me tell you. Everyone stuck around until past midnight which we hadn’t expected so Agnes decided that we’d have to officially celebrate my birthday at 12 with a candle being blown out. Agnes is honestly like a pinata of ideas when it comes to random things like this & she came up with what I hope becomes a new tradition: a birthday eggo. It was the most awesome way I could have ever brought in 21. An eggo, some maple syrup, a candle to top it all off & a bunch of friends to share it with.
Saturday was the day that we were all REALLY looking forward to, though. Vans Warped Tour in Montreal. I’m going to save all the pictures & details for an entirely new post right after this one, because it was just that worth it.
On Sunday I woke up at Jenia’s house with Jenn. The girls had woken up a half hour before me and prepared me this super adorable birthday brunch, completely with Toy Story decorations and all. It was amazing and hilarious and I adore the two of them beyond possible words for things like this.
I can honestly say that this year was one of the greatest birthdays ever. The older I get, the more I realize how important it is to surround yourself with the right people. This year I know that I’ve finally reached that point.
When I got home from Jenia’s on Sunday, I got ready for my family birthday dinner. After a hectic last couple of days it was nice to sit down in my backyard with my mom, my brother, my sister-in-law and my brothers’ in-laws (AKA my other set of parents pretty much) and just enjoy the beautiful day. My mom made the most amazing dinner & got me a very yummy cake and I blew out 21 candles as the sun set. We all sat around until almost midnight just talking and laughing and having a good time. My brother has this tradition at each one of our birthdays where he asks a series of questions about the last year in your life. Mine went something like this:
1. Most memorable moment of the year: My brother’s wedding
2. Most important lesson you’ve learned: It’s important to surround yourself with the right friends and to treat them well, and to communicate properly with each other. Friendships have ended throughout the years because I didn’t know how to do these things properly.
3. Best movie of the year: Toy Story 3 (first one that came to mind that I saw, and I loved it!)
4. Best concert of the year: I had a lot of trouble choosing, but I’d have to say that Warped Tour on Saturday ranks pretty high up there. More on that later!
5. What is a personal goal I have for myself this year (not to be confused with professional): Complete a good chunk of things on my 101 in 1,001 list. Little goals matter too!
6. What is a professional goal I have for myself this year: Find a paid internship that I really love. This might be really hard, but I atleast want to try
7. Completely off topic, but I got this question too, what would I do with 2 million dollars (I was allowed to have as much fun and be as materialistic as I wanted & I didn’t have to worry about giving any to my close family because apparently my brother won 40 million and gave us each 2 million): 1 million in savings/investments, 200 000 to various charities, 300 000 to travel the world and shop around the world & bring 2 friends with me, 150 000 on a gorgeous car, 20 000 to study abroad for a year… and I think I stopped finding ways to spend money at this point.
All in all, it was the perfect way to end my 4 day birthday weekend.