In my goal to eat more healthy and stay more fit, I’ve come to a really important conclusion: although there is a lot of food in my diet that I can easily go without or cut out drastically, there are some things that I’ll never be able to give up.
1) Coffee. I take my coffee with anywhere between 3 and 6 sugars. It used to be at least 4, but I’m starting to cut down. I also have a severe addiction to Starbucks and other similar expensive coffee franchises. This isn’t necessarily a GREAT thing because I can have anywhere between 1 and 3 coffees a day… But honestly, coffee just makes me happy. Why give that up?
2) Carbs. A lot of people who start to eat more healthy try and cut carbohydrates out of their diet. I totally understand this & I think it’s important for me to do that too, but I will never the the person who eats them as a treat. I love having toast in the morning, rice with my dinner, pizza… You get the point.
3) Jam. I know there’s a lot of sugar in the jams that you buy in grocery stores, but I just love it so much. More often than not I have toast for breakfast & although I’m a huge fan of peanut butter, there’s only so much PB a girl can take. Moderation is key, that’s all! Also? I will never, ever give up nutella. Never.
4) Ice-cream. What on earth is summer without an ice-cream cone? It’s nothing, that’s what it is. It’s not something I’ll eat every day, but it’s one of those sweet treats I just can’t see myself giving up!
5) Cereal. I grew up with a brother who had an obsession with cereal like Lucky Charms, so it’s no surprise I grew to love them too. LC is just one of my guilty cereal pleasures though; fruit loops, french toast crunch, cheerios, cap’n crunch, honeycombs… Every once in a while I’m going to buy a box and I’m going to enjoy them without feeling guilty.
Those are the first five things that come to mind, but I know there are a few other things. Don’t get me wrong, these aren’t all items I’m going to have every day (I mean besides coffee = every day) so I’m not worried that they ruin a healthy diet. I just don’t agree with forcing myself to cut out every single thing that makes me happy out of my diet just so that I can lose weight– if that were to even happen. I just want to cut out bad eating habits that occur daily.
I don’t want to resort to TV dinners as often as I do, I want to learn to cook more using vegetables, I want to include more fruits & veggies in my every day habits and I want to do all these things happily. I don’t want to feel like changing my food habits is some ridiculously drastic thing in my life, but I know that I am known to eat badly and let myself cheat more than I should. I’m by no means self-conscious of how I look, I really just want to feel healthier, and in my heart I feel like that’s a good reason to be doing this whole thing in the first place.
What food can’t you live without? What CAN you live without?