Here are just a few things that are most certainly true and worth knowing, at least from my perspective. Also, this is mostly stuff I’ve learned through school, work, love and just overall life.
1) If you go to a bookstore and ask for help, know the title and author of the book. From personal experience (as in, every day) I can tell you that “the blue cover with the red writing about that girl there, you know? It’s really popular how do you not know it?” is NOT helpful to the book seller. This goes for any store, actually. Don’t assume the sales people know EVERY SINGLE THING in the store. Help them out a little or be nice about it.
2) When you take your kids out to a store, don’t let them run wild. That means they don’t have eyes at the end of their fingers. Stop letting them touch and play with everything. And if they do? Just make them put it back.
3) Hold yourself accountable for your mistakes. I mean, you’re an adult after all. If you spill something in a store? Just tell someone and help them clean it up. Don’t leave it and hope it gets found. Same for a broken item. Most stores won’t charge you for breaking it and will be SO much happier that you were just honest. On a related note, IT’S THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
4) Don’t play games. Especially in relationships, and most especially if you’re a guy. Some girls like that stuff, but a lot don’t. Just be freaking straight up. You’re all confusing when you try and be subtle about stuff. Girls miss out on clues as much as guys do.
5) If you say you’re going to do something, don’t bail without a good reason. And if you do? That’s fine, it happens. We don’t always want to do what we say, but just don’t do it every single time you say you’re going to be somewhere or help someone out. It gets incredibly frustrating and eventually I’ll just put you in the “unreliable people” category.
6) Have a little respect. If you’re having a bad day, that’s cool. Don’t take it out on sales people or friends or family. Venting is allowed, but you are most certainly not permitted to yell at some random person and turn their day into a bad one just because you’re in a crappy mood. I can promise you that you’ll become that customer or that person that gets talked about.
7) Be a little independent. Try and do something yourself before asking for help, or at least figure out how it’s done the first time so you don’t continually have to keep asking. Independence is key.
8 ) Don’t procrastinate. It’s a disease and it spreads. If you do it too often you won’t be able to stop. I am speaking from current experience on this one.
9) If something makes you happy, then do it. Who cares what people think? You’re living this life for you! Unless it’s something really weird or creepy or against the law. Don’t do that stuff. Find another hobby.
10) Remember to look in a mirror before leaving the house. We all have laundry days where we don’t have much to wear, but just go to this website and make sure you’re never one of these people.
Now you tell me, what is a truth that you’ve learned in your life through work/school/love?! Disagree with any of mine? Which ones do you agree with most?