I think most people will agree that Christmas is the best part about winter. I mean, that’s the only explanation I can think of as to why on December 26th I immediately hate the snow, the cold and the early afternoon darkness. I’ll admit that each year I’m usually a little bit late to jump in on the holiday-cheer-wagon. Here’s why:
1. I’m usually in school until the week before Christmas
2. That often means I leave most of my shopping for that one week
3. I’m probably more stressed than the average person due to last minute shopping
4. I work in retail
5. I have to deal with crazy people for almost 3 months… Because I work in retail
6. I get yelled at a lot in November/December.. Because I work in retail
7. Have you ever worked Boxing Day in retail? If yes, I don’t need to explain further. If you haven’t, I hope you’re not one of those people who tries to return their Christmas gifts on the 26th. NOBODY does returns on the 26th! No one!
8. Constant Christmas music. I love a Christmas song as much as the next person, but on a loop for 8 hours at work? Not cool.
9. The stress of how much money to spend and who to buy for.
I’ve been working in retail for four years now, and I can honestly say that it puts a little damper on my Christmas. It’s not easy working a job where everyone dumps their stress on you as they attempt to get all THEIR shopping done, while I am stuck leaving all of mine for December 20th.
THAT being said, I still love Christmas. I love the holidays as a general rule, but this year I’m trying my best to look past all the usual stress to enjoy all the amazing little things that only come around for a few months. I’ve become really bad at ignoring all the *little* things that I actually adore about this time of the year:
2. Decorations! I love looking around at all the lights and things that people put up. My mom is a huge Christmas decorator- always has been- and I love how my house slowly transforms into a place that Santa would be proud of. 😀
3. Spending day after day with family!
4. So. Much. Yummy. Food.
5. Christmas cards! Strangely enough, my family isn’t big on these, but I LOVE them. I worked at Hallmark for a year when I was 18 and have since had a totally new appreciation for giving/receiving cards.
6. I’ll take any reason to have a tiny break from school. Those two weeks are heavenly.
7. That feeling when you wake up on December 25th
8. That similar feeling when you wake up on January 1st
9. The feeling of setting up new New Year’s Resolutions (I really like goals, you guys)
10. Christmas log cake. SO GOOD.
What are your favorites and non-favorites about the holidays?!